Friday, December 30, 2011

Cookbooks

I'm in the middle of reading a book called The Table Comes First. It's the history of food and why we eat the way we eat. So far it's been about how the idea of a restaurant came about and why recipes exist. I can't wait to read the rest of it. I'm more of a fiction girl but this book is pretty good.

The recipe didn't even come on the scene until the late 19th century because before that cooking was a skill that was passed down from parent to child or from cook to apprentice. I've been thinking a lot lately about how to pass down some family traditions on to my kids. This book is inspiring me to collect recipes that are a part of our family life. I'm hoping that by the time they leave home I will have had time to write stories to go along with these recipes so they know why they are so important. This seems to be a good way to chronicle our family history since most of our memories seem to center around food. Tim and I cooked a lot when we were dating. I craved different things with each baby. Each boy has different favorite foods that they like best.

No comments:

Post a Comment