Thursday, April 7, 2011

5 years ago...

Five years ago today was the last day I worked outside the home. I was 7 months pregnant with R. A lot has changed since then. Now I have two boys and one on the way. I have always wanted to stay at home with my kids because that's what my mom did. It was important to my parents that my mom stay home with us and because of this they sacrificed to make it happen. I understand that it's not possible for every mother to stay home with her kids, but I do think God has created all mothers to nurture and raise their children in a certain way and we are encouraged in our endeavors through His Word.

" But we were gentle among you, like a nursing mother taking care of her own children. So, being affectionately desirous of you, we were ready to share with you not only the gospel of God but also our own selves, because you had become very dear to us." 1 Thess. 2:7-8

This verse is a great description of what Biblical motherhood is. It describes a mother who loves her child so much that she not only shares her faith, but her whole self. She allows her kids to see her for who she really is and lets them take part in her life. The beauty of this type of mothering is that the openness fosters a deep relationship that can withstand rough times. It also gives the child the opportunity to emulate the mother. Like Romans 8:30 exhorts believers, we, as mothers, are being "conformed to the likeness of His Son." If this is true then our children will also be like Jesus.

When we take care of our children with that kind of openness, we need to be bold. Jesus' mother, Mary, was a good example of a mother who has trust and confidence in God. She was told that she would be a mother before she was even married and her response was "Behold I am the servant of The Lord, let it be to me according to your word" (Luke 1:38). This is how we should be when it comes to our mothering. We should trust The Lord and have confidence that his plan for our children and us is perfect.

God also gives us many promises throughout scripture to encourage us in our calling.

"
But the steadfast love of the LORD is from everlasting to everlasting on those who fear him, and his righteousness to children's children, to those who keep his covenant and remember to do his commandments" (Psalm 103:17-18). It is a blessing to know that God loves us so much that his love and righteousness will be passed on to our children.

"Discipline your son, for there is hope; do not set your heart on putting him to death." (Proverbs 19-18) What an encouraging verse! It helps us to put our discipline in perspective. We love our kids so we discipline.

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. " (1 John 1:9) This is a great promise to end on. We can stand confidently in our calling as mothers because God will be there when we make a mistake to forgive us and cleanse us!

2 comments:

  1. Yay Amy! I will add you to my blogroll.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to memorize Mary's Magnificat. May it be that I am forever praising Him for who He is and remain a servant to all He has called me to in the adventure of parenting.

    ReplyDelete