Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Harry Potter Revisited

One of my goals for this pregnancy was to read completely through the Harry Potter Series. I figured this is a good time to relive this adventure since I am at a place where I prefer comfortable familiarity to something new and different. Really I think the hormones cloud my mind and I can't think straight until way after the baby comes and I am done nursing. Either way, it was also a good time to read completely straight through all seven books. I had not done this before. I started reading the series when there were only four books so there were long periods of time between each successive book. I assumed that it would take me about 9 months to read them since I have kids now and I can't sit for hours a day lost in a book. It only took me about 5 months. So here I am with two and a half months to go (my husband says three but he's in denial) and I have read every last word. Let me tell you: it was even better the second time around. Here are some thoughts put in no particular order.

1. I loved how certain character traits are valued. Some of the big ones that come to mind are loyalty, courage, bravery...I could go on. In the end it is obvious that Harry beats Voldemort because he possesses these traits which his opponent lacks. Many of these traits lead to love, friendship, things like that which are also considered essential to success.

2. I was amazed at how well everything from beginning to end fit together. She has some chiasmic (that's a new word derived from chiasm ) elements to the books that make it even more amazing. What I mean is book one and seven are very similar as well as two and six, three and five, and then book four stands alone. So Harry faces Voldemort by himself in the first and seventh books. The second and sixth deal with horcruxes. Then the last pairing deals with side characters that have special meaning to the plot and shapes Harry's perspective on things. Book four has to obviously stand alone because it deals with Voldemort coming back.

3. I also have to admit that liked seeing all the little hints along the way that I missed the first time around. An example is the mention in book six of the tiara in the room of requirement. I know there were things in the earlier book, but it's too late right now to come up with them.

I'm starting to lose steam so I should probably go to bed (it is 11:20pm here). This whole reading has me excited for the last movie to come out in July.

2 comments:

  1. I need to get them re-read too. It has been awhile and I have not read any back-to-back! That would be interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this post. Your description of the mirroring of books 1 & 7, 2 & 6, etc. reminded me of how Lost was structured - there are countless parallels between seasons 1 & 6, 2 & 5, and 3 & 4.

    ReplyDelete